Our Current Project

OUR CURRENT PROJECT: We are beginning our final science unit for the year--Motion and Design. Students will work on building the best car they can, documenting their progress as they go along!

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Success!!!

My students were so excited to self-assess using the iPads. They are really motivated to read carefully and then listen to their recordings in order to determine areas where they can improve. I noticed that students wasted no time transitioning from instructions to implementation. I even had some students request to stay in during recess so they could finish their work since we ran out of time.

What worked really well:
  • I took my time modeling as if I were a student so they could see/hear the entire process from start to finish.
  • I made common mistakes so students could see/hear me assess myself.
  • I did a think aloud while filling out my self-assessment sheet so they could hear how I made decisions to mark myself in each category.
  • I gave all students the same reading passage, an independent level for all, the first time through so they were practicing the process rather than the reading.
What I plan for next time:
  • I have copies of several passages at the same levels for students to choose their reading passage.
  • My students are going to be partnered with fourth graders beginning the process so they can learn together and model for each other.
  • Students will finish assessing themselves and immediately use apps to practice their goal.
Students have also been talking about getting to record again on Friday. This shows me their motivation to work hard to improve now so they can see results the next time they record. I cannot wait to see the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment