Our Current Project

OUR CURRENT PROJECT: We are beginning our final science unit for the year--Motion and Design. Students will work on building the best car they can, documenting their progress as they go along!

Friday, January 20, 2012

Fluency Self-Assessment

After spending quite some time with my students on learning how to identify words that they do not know and self-monitoring, we are finally ready to embark upon self-assessment using our iPads. My initial plan was to go completely paperless. That is not working out so well.

I set-up notebooks for each student in my Evernote account. This way I could easily access student information from home, laptop, iPad, etc. Logging into one account to see everyone is great! Students could also use any iPad to access their notebooks and record right into the program so no exporting was necessary!

I downloaded several fluency passages into another Evernote notebook so that all of my students would easily have access to them, again from any iPad. My next task was where my paperless route came to a road block. I wanted to figure out a way for my students to read off of the iPad while recording themselves (audio or video). Then I wanted them to be able to listen to the recording while marking errors and self-correction on the fluency passage. At this point in time this idea is impossible. I have been unable to figure out how to do this in Evernote or find an app capable of this task.

So for now I have settled on having the recoding of students in their Evernote notebooks and paper copy of the fluency passage for students to mark. When they are finished, they will record their observations on their self-assessment papers. Finally, they will type their accuracy, expression and phrasing scores, as well as their goal, in the same note where their recording is.

I will be able to use these records and scores as an additional assessment tool while simultaneously having students reflect on their reading progress and identify areas where they can improve. I anticipate students' comprehension to increase significantly as a result of hearing themselves read and reflecting on their reading ability.

2 comments:

  1. You should make an app to do just that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I knew how to create apps! I actually have a few other ideas that would combine what I do now either with multiple apps or with a combination of technology and paper. But that will have to wait!

    For now, I have found a free app (educreations) that I used for some of the math story problems. I have not used it yet for the fluency activity, but it may work. I will have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete